6.06.2007

My Tropical Island Wish.

I really don't know why, but I want a Sago Palm so badly. There's a lot of things I wanna get right now, but Mr. Sago is the winner and has been No.1 on my wish list. Sago Palm is not necessarily cute nor a comfortable looking plant to have in the house. I just like its "fugly-ness." You know.. there are these types of things... you don't like, but can't totally hate?! Sago Palm has this weird charm that captured me the moment I saw it.

"This very symmetrical plant supports a crown of shiny, dark green leaves on a thick shaggy trunk that is typically about 20 cm in diameter, sometimes wider." To me, it has the silent agreement of its own: I'm evil. Don't get too close to me, otherwise I will hurt you. The leaves are sharp and thick. The only concern I have is that my cats might get hurt. They love to destroy plants. The last few plants I have had were eaten by Shoni. I have been wanting to have big plants for the house.. but my dream hasn't come true for the past few years.

As I was browsing the websites, I found funny facts about Mr.S. It is technically not a palm at all. It looks like one of them though. Its scientific name is Cycas revoluta [ Sago Cycad ] and "it is a cycad native to southern Japan." Oh snap! A palm looking plant is native to Japan! It just brought back some memories. When I went back to Japan last summer... my mom and I had a little cycling trip to my grandmas'. The area they live is slightly warmer than where I live!? [ Well, it's just about an hour bicycle ride distance. ] When we passed the old historical city hall building, there were a lot of palm trees. I could be wrong.. possibly these palm tree looking plants weren't even palms and in a disguise form :P. I totally thought the sago palm I saw was a palm.. so.. yeah anything is possible, eh! I was quite shocked when I saw the plants back in Japan. I lived in Arizona before I went back to Japan. Seeing palm trees in AZ is nothing strange. It suits the area: dry and hot.. did I say HOT?! Where my parents live is the southern island, Kyushu, but still I could never really picture Japan having palm trees until my recent visit.

I want a Sago Palm.. but it better stay "young and small." I already got two little mini-dinosaurs at my place. "No Thank You!" for anything from cycad dinosaur era. I don't want a huge palm looking plant taking over my cozy place.

No comments: