11.21.2008

Black Bottom Cupcakes

I like cupcakes. I always have. I've never really taken time to make them from scratch before, but I'm into baking sweets lately. When I buy the prepared cupcake mix, the flavors of cupcakes are too limited. Yesterday, I decided to make Black Bottom Cupcakes. E made them before this, a long time ago when we first became friends.

Black Bottom Cupcakes seemed complicated at first, but it was fairy simple. I didn't use the "cupcake" baking pan, but I had paper baking cups for Madeleines. They turned out just fine (I at least think so!)

This time, I decided to post pictures of the process and ingredients, so anyone who might be interested can try on their own!

INGREDIENTS:
A) Cream Cheese Mixture:
2 (3-oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
6-oz pkg. (1 cup) chocolate chips
1/8 teaspoon salt

B) Cocoa batter:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water (I used milk instead of water)
1/3 cup oil
1 table spoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Procedure:
1) Heat oven to 350 degree F. Line 18 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups.

2) In small bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt and egg; mix well. Stir in chocolate chips; set aside.






3) In large bowl, combine flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa, baking soda
and salt.






Make a well in the center and add the water, oil, vinegar and
vanilla.






Stir together until well blended.
(Beat 2 minutes at medium speed).







4) Fill muffin cups 1/3 full with the batter and top with a dollop of the cream cheese mixture.
(Optional: Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar and nuts.)




5) Bake at 350 degree F. for 20 to 30 minutes or until cream cheese mixture is light golden brown.

6) Cool 15 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers.

*Great recipe site on both US measurement standards and the metric system*

This cupcake isn't overly sweet. The cream cheese part is gooey, yet goes well with the cocoa flavored cake part. It's simply yummy :)

Happy Cupcake Day! :D

No comments: