1.21.2008

Tutelage.


aRt

This weekend was full of art.

I must admit it, I was never a big fan of paintings before.
I somewhat appreciated the art pieces done by great artists, but couldn't totally see what other people were seeking from them. I always sympathized with photographs, but not with paintings.
I've learned that paintings were beyond what I've known so far. I always had the idea that paintings and photographs were different, but they were not.

Edward Hopper changed my mind.

I knew he was one of the amazing artists. I've never taken enough time to comprehend what his reasons behind his paintings were. I gotta say, he is one of my favorite artists now. The concepts of his art are amazing. He is a painter, but somewhat he has this photographer's mind. Or should I say my idea of photography is similar to what he has done and accomplished in his life's works? Maybe that is one of the reasons, I fell in love with his art.

***

We went to the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. where the Hopper's special exhibition was. "American artist Edward Hopper (1882-1967) combined observation, imagination, and memory to create art showing ordinary people and everyday places, capturing moments of American life."

We also went to the Baltimore Museum of Art in Baltimore. There are a lot of works from Matisse there.

After seeing Hopper's and Matisse's works, it reminded me there are more reasons I should be taking photographs right now.

No comments: