1.27.2008

Collection of Thoughts.

All lines and quotes from the book,
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
by Sherman Alexie.
  • There is nothing better than a chicken leg when you haven't eaten for (approximately) eighteen-and-a-half hours. And believe me, a good piece of chicken can make anybody believe in the existence of God.
  • This avalanche of ha-ha and ho-ho and hee-hee.
  • Naked woman + right hand = happy happy joy joy
  • DWI: Driving While Indian.
  • "... But you should approach each book - you should approach life - with the real possibility that you might get a metaphorical boner at any point."
  • ...but he made me realize that hard work - that the act of finishing, of completing, of accomplishing a task - is joyous.
  • So, okay, I'm going number two, and I'm sitting on the toilet, and I'm concentrating. I'm in my Zen mode, trying to make this whole thing a spiritual experience. I read once that Gandhi was way into his own number two. I don't know if he told fortunes or anything. But I guess he thought the condition and quality of his number two revealed the condition and quality of his life.
  • Who knew that tears of sympathy could be so sexy? If you let people into your life a little bit, they can be pretty damn amazing.
  • crazy-funny-disgusting
  • his secret weapon, his Weapon of Mass Destruction
  • "If you care about something enough, it's going to make you cry. But you have to use it. Use your tears. Use your pain. Use your fear. Get mad, get mad."
  • "It's not whether you win or lose," I said. "It's how you play the game." -Vince Lombardi "The quality of a man's life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence, regardless of his chosen field of endeavor."
  • Gay people were seen as magical, too. I mean, like in many cultures, men were viewed as warriors and women were viewed as caregivers. But gay people being both male and female, were seen as both warriors and caregivers.
  • All of us are always five years old in the presence and absence of our parents.
  • Dark Nights of the Soul
  • A spontaneous demonstration.
  • Grieving ceremony
  • I wanted to live up to expectations. I guess that's what it comes down to. The power of expectations.
  • Egomaniac
  • One play can determine the course of a game. One play can change your momentum forever.
  • crying tears of happiness. crying tears of shame.
  • the Captain Obvious Award.
  • Yep, how Indian would that be?
  • I was going absolutely insane with laughter. Thing had gotten so intense, so painful, that my body just checked out. Yep, my mind and soul and heart had a quick meeting and voted to shut down for a few repairs.
  • who had left their birthplaces in search of a dream.
  • scintillating conversationalists.
  • old-time nomad.

Damn. He is good.
One of the amazing authors, IMO.

No comments: