7.16.2008

ReeeeeeeViVaL!


After a month of without having written any sort of entries on my Blog, once again, I'm back to this for good. Friends and my family who have wondered how I have been, I've been good. Just a little bit of laziness took over my mind and soul.

_______________

The other day, I bought some so called oriental yams a.k.a. sweet potatoes. In the US, a yam is more orange-ish color inside and not as sweet as oriental ones. Satsumaimo (sweet potatoes) tempura is one of my favorite mom's dishes. I wasn't craving the tempura, so I made some sweet potatoes snack called, "Daigaku Imo: 大学いも." The direct translation would be "college potato." According to the site where I got the recipe, many college kids treated themselves by making this snack. I'm guessing that they had made these snacks for themselves maybe 40 to 50 years ago?! For sure, my generation didn't actually make this sweet on their own.

Anyway, Daigaku Imo is handy and most people buy from grocery stores nowadays. Somehow my idea of Daigaku Imo was using the "gooey" candy (mizu ame: 水飴) for the sauce. I asked E whether I can buy the gooey candy anywhere near my home and he seemed totally lost. I don't think there's this type of material been used or sold in the US. I didn't have many options, so there I was... searching for the other options to finish making the Daigaku Imo. There was another way of making the sauce: 1 cup of white or brown sugar and 2 table spoon of vegetable oil. It didn't exactly give me what kind of temperature I was suppose to use to cook the sauce.. so after I finished making the Daigaku Imo, the sauce part got totally hard .__. and they were all stuck together.

For the first time making Daigaku Imo, it was still fairly successful and tasty :)

No comments: